Topic tags: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of Kweh
    Kweh
    Keymaster
    Cookies: 7428.00
    Level 4
    Kweh @

I’m looking to buy myself a new headset. My relatively cheap Logitech one (think it was £30-ish) has lasted me… 3 years, or thereabouts, but its finally starting to go. Tbh, its the materials that are starting to come apart, the quality of the mic and earphones hasn’t degraded at all. But I keep getting miscellaneous faux leather bits and padding in my hair without realising it when I take them off.

That, and, well, my birthday is coming up, so I figure I would treat myself with an upgrade.

My sound system is plugged into my TV, so the only audio I have on my PC is via my headset. I suppose that means they should be fairly durable and comfortable, since they will get a lot of use!

So, what do people recommend? I’m looking to spend a maximum of around £100 (which is… $140 USD? I think?)

Profile photo of Water_Cat1
    Water_Cat1
    Participant
    Cookies: 99.00
    Level 1
    Water_Cat1 @

Considering I think I have only really used about 3 different headsets, I don’t have much to reccomend. One was crap, the one before my current ones are probably the exact same ones as your ones, they were good for me too. My current ones are the hefty logitech G35 headset. I like them, cost me NZ$120 (so probably like half that for £ or something ridiculous). They come with the same high quality logitech mic and speakers you expect, although this boasts 7.1 surround sound in a USB headset. TBH it is freaking awesome and does an excellent job of muting the world around you as they are over the hear headphones.

It is heavy though and my friend complains every time she uses it that it hurts her neck immediately so it may not work for everyone. Also I have had mine for almost two years and that leather stuff is just starting to come off on one ear (although that may be my fault for how I sometimes wear them causing them to rub a bit more). G35 is the corded version, with a braided cable and I can’t remmebr the number but there is an exact equivalent but wireless if thats what you want, though personally I like corded because I just end up charging it all the time anyway…

tl:dr Logitech G35 – wired. good quality 7.1 surround, good mic. Lasted almost 2 years. Heavy to wear though.

Logitech G(something else with three digits) same as G35 but wireless.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Water_Cat1 Water_Cat1.
    Profile photo of Syntria
    Syntria
    Keymaster
    Cookies: 7032.00
    Level 5
    Syntria @

Oh goodness I can’t even begin. I bought some turtlebeach ones and they all broke on me pretty quick. I have a pair of Beats By Dre (shut up they were normally 299 and I got them for 25 bucks at work on clearance) but I actually don’t own a headset anymore…I might use the info in this thread to learn me something about headsets <_<

Profile photo of FuzzieBoy
    FuzzieBoy
    Participant
    Cookies: 35.00
    Level 1
    FuzzieBoy @

I’ve had a Steelseries 4H for quite a while, and it would seem that Steelseries do some really nice headsets, so I’d say get the newest one of those you can for under £100. Mics on them seem to be pretty clear too; I used to stream using it before I got a Blue Snowball Ice recently.

Profile photo of freaktechnik
    freaktechnik
    Participant
    Cookies: 82.00
    Level 1
    freaktechnik @

I personally have a SoundBlaster Tactic3D Sigma, it’s ok, but it feels incredibly cheap, especially since the speakers have huge housings, that seem to be mostly filled with air. Also I am scared that I break the microphone every time I move it. A colleague of mine’s got a Roccat Kave 5.1, which has a design flaw in the headpolstering, which was fixed in the XTD versions. So these are more anti-recommendations, but those help too, right?

Profile photo of Kweh
    Kweh
    Keymaster
    Level 4
    Kweh @

So these are more anti-recommendations, but those help too, right?

I was tempted by the Roccat Kave, so yep, that helped!

Oh goodness I can’t even begin. I bought some turtlebeach ones and they all broke on me pretty quick. I have a pair of Beats By Dre (shut up they were normally 299 and I got them for 25 bucks at work on clearance) but I actually don’t own a headset anymore…I might use the info in this thread to learn me something about headsets <_<

Can’t knock something when its dirt cheap. No way I’d be buying that overpriced naffness though.

G35 is the corded version, with a braided cable and I can’t remmebr the number but there is an exact equivalent but wireless if thats what you want, though personally I like corded because I just end up charging it all the time anyway… tl:dr Logitech G35 – wired. good quality 7.1 surround, good mic. Lasted almost 2 years. Heavy to wear though. Logitech G(something else with three digits) same as G35 but wireless.

Was pretty tempted by this one, just because by and large I get really good mileage from Logitech products. But in the end…

I’ve had a Steelseries 4H for quite a while, and it would seem that Steelseries do some really nice headsets, so I’d say get the newest one of those you can for under £100. Mics on them seem to be pretty clear too; I used to stream using it before I got a Blue Snowball Ice recently.

Went for a Steelseries in the end. Its really comfy. Sound is great – way better than the old Logitech pair I had. Not really tested the mic side of things first, but it has a retractable one (rather than a boom), so its less obviously a headset, and mini usb + 3.5mm adapter, so I can use it with my phone if I feel so inclined – they could be my ear muffs for winter!

Thanks for the recommendations. They helped a lot. 😀

Profile photo of Levy
    Levy
    Participant
    Cookies: 155.00
    Level 1
    Levy @

I recommend the Logitech G35 headset. Absolutely fantastic, it just has a couple issues. After a great long time of use, the ear cushions will start to flake. I just replaced those with some cushions meant for a MadCatz headset. The other issue is the cloth wrapping around the cord will mess up the cord after a while, it’s hard to explain. It looks nice, but it is better to remove the cloth covering the cord.

I’m currently using a Logitech G930. Basically the wireless version of the G35, but it has an issue with overcharging I think. The headset freaks the fuck out if you use it without letting the battery drain every so often, I usually keep the headset plugged in and I experience this every other day.

Profile photo of Kweh
    Kweh
    Keymaster
    Level 4
    Kweh @

I recommend the Logitech G35 headset. Absolutely fantastic, it just has a couple issues. After a great long time of use, the ear cushions will start to flake. I just replaced those with some cushions meant for a MadCatz headset. The other issue is the cloth wrapping around the cord will mess up the cord after a while, it’s hard to explain.

The flaking seems to be a common issue with all the Logitech headsets, but you are right – it doesn’t happen until a loooong time after you bought it.

The braided cable causing some issues with the wiring is one of the only reasons I was concerned and opted for the Steelseries instead. Happy I did now, as it sounds more common than I would like.

Thanks for the recommendation though! 😀

Profile photo of Rigus
    Rigus
    Participant
    Cookies: 104.00
    Level 1
    Rigus @

Well it is a little late but ill put this here for anyone else interested lol

My main headset is a Sennheiser PC 350 and it is absolutly wonderful. The audio quality is amazing and the mic sound is really clear and audible (unlike some headsets I have owned) it is also sturdy as all heck but for a $200 price tag I would hope so. So far they have lasted me 2 years and I love them! If you have the money to fork over I would seriously recommend this pair.

Also my spare headset is the Razer Kraken USB headset ($99 price tag I believe) and they are very nice. the mic quality is good and audio quality is great. They can be a bit taxing on my huge ears after a long period of using them but other than that for a cheaper headset they are pretty awesome.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Profile photo of thebad300
    thebad300
    Cookies: 1945.00
    Level 2
    thebad300 @

steelseries 5h or if you have a small ears 3v are both great headphones with mic good mic built in right now im using a
    <h1 class=”productTitle”>Sony Gold Wireless Stereo Headset (PS4) hay i got them for 1/2 off and they are nice GF keeps jacking them tho and they are wifi and i think bluetooth</h1>

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.